Saturday, January 26, 2008

Chemistry?

I have in previous years been a pretty good cook but lately, not so much. I am the bread maker for our families at the holidays or family gatherings. Unfortunately, the last several times I have made bread, it has turned out mealy. The rolls won't rise enough and the bread is very crumbly. I have made bread for years and have always had amazing results. I am usually the queen of dinner rolls. I think that my chemistry is changing and affecting the bread. When my mom-in-law touches bread dough it kills the yeast. She has something in her chemistry that kills the yeast. I hope that is not my problem. I love baking and hope my gift will be rekindled. I made chili for our wards Chili Cook Off. My chili looked great at home but by the time we made it to church, yuck. I think years of cooking skills have been lost in just a few months.

Lately, we have endured the same dismal menu week after week. I find myself making the same old faithfuls. I can say that my family is quite tired of the old faithfuls. My lovely children are a mix of "won't eat anything that looks different" to "I eat everything." So trying a new recipe leaves some of my little ones hungry. If you have any ideas on how to introduce new foods without leaving the little ones starved, please, share.

7 comments:

Jen said...

I feel so blah about cooking! I need some serious help, we do the same thing and it gets boring. I just don't have time to get it together and try something new. Good luck!

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

Weird about the bread thing. What about using a breadmaker, so you never actually have to touch the yeast?

BreAnne said...

My mom use to make two full meals, and eat them over 2 days, so half of us would eat the one that was normal and the other openminded half would eat the random thing.
did you get a new oven?

Klin said...

So sad about the bread thing. There is nothing better than fresh, hot homemade bread. I think I'll go make some now. . . .

Elizabeth said...

What do you mean your mom ruins the yeast?! I didn't know stuff like that was even possible. Tell you what, cook up some homemade bread and bring it over to me. I'll let you know if something is wrong then. It may take a few attempts though to get down to the nitty gritty. lol

wild murdocks said...

I'm jealous of your bread making skills! I'm sure it's some kind of fluke, rebellious yeast, or something.

Meal preparations are always trying. I'm not much of a cook and only enjoy it if I can do a little somthing crazy or different. My boys will eat almost anything, and if they are too picky, they go hungry!

Happy cooking!

Misty said...

Maybe your yeast is bad. It gets old, too. I always "start" my yeast in a bowl before every baking with it. I put a little warm water and sugar, and if the yeast foams, it's still alive.

I make new meals, but I make sure there are a couple sides at each meal the kids will eat. Rolls, veggies, a jello, or fruit. If they refuse the main dish, there are other things to fill them up!