Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Inner Beauty....

is a hidden treasure. Inner beauty is often not discovered until it has been allowed to grow and refine itself. It is the combination of moral strength, optimism, gentleness, and characteristics that inspire love and friendship. While inner beauty may not be the most desired, it is truely the most beneficial to the holder.

I spend a lot of time teaching my children to paint there spirits with colors of good report or characteristics that seem important to them. For example I am going to give my children an out line of a child and a chart of different colors that express specific characteristics. Green - generosity, Yellow - peacemaker, Blue - honesty, and so on. This gives each child the opportunity to choose what his/her inner beauty will look like. It gives them a chance to think about what characterists they find more important and to work on those. I also instruct them to watch there teachers and other adults and find out what they like about them. This helps them to discover atributes that they may like to have as an adult.

I know my views are simple but thanks for reading anyway.

8 comments:

Montserrat said...

Your idea to "paint" their spirits is brilliant! That would make an excellent activity for a Family Home Evening lesson.

Thanks for taking the time to participate. I know you in particular have had a very busy, stressful couple of weeks.

Sonja said...

Fabulous thoughts and ideas! I'm so glad you shared these. The reminder to find good qualities in others and then try to emulate them was timely and needed, for me.

The paint-your-spirit idea is brilliant!

(oh, I just realized that Cocoa said the same thing. Well...it's true!0

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

This is a great idea, and it reminds me of the idea in eastern medicine of auras reflecting the mood and character of the people projecting them. I do think there is something to that.

This Girl loves to Talk said...

wow what a great idea... i love it..

will be trying that with my 3 girls.. what a sweet activity

I hope I can raise these girls with a love for their inner beauty

Melissa said...

That is beautiful and what a terrific idea! How great! I think that is perfect. I would love to see what your kids came up with. I wonder what Josh would draw. He would probably make himself look like a transformer and not care about the colors. But what a cute idea.

kjha said...

I love your idea of painting the spirit how you want it to be. We've been talking about "What color is your heart right now?" And trying to avoid a black feeling.

Elizabeth said...

That is a wonderful idea. Where did you find the information for this?

*Merry Girls* said...

Thanks everyone!